As part of my weekly goals I wanted to do more baking with the girls. They both love getting involved and so I need to make more of an effort to get into the kitchen. I was browsing through my Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking and saw their recipe for Chocolate Fudge Brownies- perfect!
Now, I do not have a very good track record when it comes to brownies- they never turn out right and end up sticking to the baking tray! I was a little apprehensive about trying them, knowing they could end up looking like wafer biscuits but decided to go for it anyway!
We are loving our new IKEA table, it is perfect for allowing the girls to get involved in the cooking. They were so excited to get going and each had a little wooden spoon to do the mixing.
- 175g butter (we used Vitalite as Little L is allergic to dairy)
- 65g cocoa powder
- 340g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g plain flour
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Then you need to melt the butter on a low heat, once it has melted add the cocoa powder.
2. The girls then mixed the sugar into the chocolate mixture. Little L couldn’t help but lick her spoon at times- won’t be offering them to friends ha!
This is what the mixture looked like after the sugar was mixed in. Little G said it looked like soil- yum!
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. I let Little G crack the eggs, it is her favourite part and is very good at it (after lots of practice!).
4. Sieve the flour and gently fold it into the mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a square tin- I always use a silicone tray as it is so much easier to peel around the finished product. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until you can stick a skewer in and it comes out clean.
They are so gooey and delicious. It was an easy recipe and they came out really well. Both girls enjoyed theirs and so we will definitely be making them again! The original recipe said to include chocolate chips but with allergies to contend with we left those out. The British Bake Off book is from Hobbycraft, I love that shop and buy all my craft supplies from there but have never thought to look at the books they sell. May have to pop down and see what other cookbooks they have!
Do you have a perfect chocolate brownie recipe?
I was sent the book to try out the recipes. There is a fab selection and I only recommend things that I love. All words and thoughts are my own.