Inside: 7 ways to date your husband. First published in 2015.
It was something I would yell down the stairs every morning as he was leaving for work, something that probably fell on deaf ears as he double checked he had everything he needed.
They were words that had lost all meaning.
I can’t even remember when it started. We’d been together for so long that we had just become part of the furniture – completely taken for granted.
Having children makes alone time near on impossible, doesn’t it? You are so busy being a parent that you just don’t realise that it is happening.
You’ve forgotten how to be a couple.
The thing is, you don’t have to settle for less – you can make a change!
I decided recently that enough was enough, that something had to change.
One day a week would be date night and whether we stayed in or went out, we would spend the night together.
Getting to know each other again.
The fact you are reading this post, I am guessing you’ve decided you need to make a change too, right?
7 Ways To Date Your Husband
Here is a list of 7 date night ideas, and hopefully you can take inspiration for your own date nights. Some are easy ‘stay at home’ dates and others will require some more planning. The most important thing is to make the time.
1. Go to the cinema. I don’t know about you but as a parent, I either watch Disney movies or end up watching the new releases 5 years later!! Find yourself a babysitter and go to see the latest release!
If you cannot get a babysitter then why not turn off your mobile phones and have a home cinema night- buy some popcorn and make an evening of it!
2. Have a spa night! Candles, massage and some facials. Throw in a glass of wine and some chocolate and you have a perfect romantic evening, just the two of you.
3. A romantic meal. If you can get a babysitter go out for a treat, it is always nice to have a night away from the kitchen.
Alternatively cook together, make an event out of it! Take turns with each course – you could even turn it into a competition.
4. Games night. Sometimes it is nice to turn off the tv, phones and other electrical bits and bobs and enjoy each other uninterrupted. Grab a board game or two and let your competitive side come out!
5. Plan a holiday! When it is all gloomy outside open up the laptop and browse the internet to find yourself a nice getaway. Even if it is a short weekend break, book it! You know you want to!
6. Reminisce together. Do you have a wedding album or DVD you could look at? Time goes so fast these days you soon forget those days. We sat watching early baby videos the other day and it was lovely!
7. Picnic in the park. Now you can take the children with you (or not, up to you) as they are a part of your family. I really love doing things together as they are a part of us. Really push the boat out, wrap up your sandwiches in brown paper, buy the best drink and lay a blanket on the grass.
I hope you find these useful! Go through your diary and book the time in. Dating your husband may sound silly but I find if I don’t make a plan I never get around to doing anything and it is important to take some time just for you.
Let me know how you get on!